Saturday, December 11, 2010

Help with Shoes

Help!

This is Julia.  I'm trying to find a local artisan to help me learn to make leather shoes.  I've googled shoe makers, the cordwainers guild.  Not much here in the area.  I'll be making a couple of calls to a neighbor who owns a cowboy-style gift shop with lots of unique items and the local shoe repair shop - both off the square in McKinney.  Last time I talked to the shoe repair guy (about shoe soling), I didn't get much help.  He speaks broken English and didn't seem to understand what I wanted.

Anybody out there know of anyone in the McKinney area?  I'd like to stay within a 10-15 mile radius.  I'm not in the least bit interested in driving to Dallas for that project!

Any suggestions you can give will be much appreciated.

Blessings,
Julia

1 comment:

Miss Linda said...

Hello, Julia. Have you tried posting a message with the Shoe Service Institute of America (http://www.ssia.info/)? I looked at their web site and they have a forum where it looks like you could post message and someone would respond to you.

Here is a link to a web site that appears to have books and videos about shoemaking. Perhaps something there would be of use to you: http://www.shoemakingbook.com/

Have you ever visited the Third Monday Trade Days in McKinney? It's a big flea market held once a month on U.S. 380 off of Central Expressway. Here is their web site: http://www.tmtd.com/ I've never gone, but I keep promising myself I'll get down there to wander around one of these weekends. I wonder if one of their vendors is a cobbler or leatherworker who could teach you.

I don't know if any of these resources would help you. I truly hope you can find someone to provide some assistance! :)