Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Colorado Adventure: Introduction


Joel here,

I know it's been a good while since I've posted.

That said, for some time now I've been intending to post some photos and notes about my recent trip to Colorado... the time has finally arrived!

Let me preface by saying that this past September after Mom's parents had traveled to southern Colorado for a week (per their tradition the past 5 years), I mentioned casually to Poppy that I wished I had remembered that they would be doing that this year, as I would've tried my hand at stuffing myself into one of their suitcases... you see, I (as well as several others in this house) have joked with them about stowing away in their luggage on such a trip.

Well, a week or so after I had mentioned this to Poppy, he called me and said, "remember what you said about tagging along with us to Colorado sometime?" I said "yes." He said, "Well, how would you like to come with us to Colorado the week of Thanksgiving in order to help us with a remodeling project at Redcloud [the Christian camp they stay at every year]?" to which I replied, "Wow, I think that'd be great!"

So, approximately 2 months later, on a bright Saturday morning, 6 of us - Mom's 2 brothers, Jay and Abe, Uncle Anthony, Poppy & Grams and myself - left Uncle Jay's home in Ft. Worth for beautiful southern Colorado.

2008 Chevy Suburban - Our ride for our trip to Colorado - Fast, Quiet, Smooth, and a somewhat of a gas guzzler!

Our mission was to provide the labor to convert one apartment in Camp Redcloud's family camp lodge into two guest apartments . We would be dismantling a modest sized kitchen from floor to ceiling (to be turned into a bathroom), turning two adjacent closets and an office into a hallway and storage room, and hopefully having some fun along the way, not only during the worktime, but also in the form of some sight-seeing in the area.

We accomplished virtually all that we set out to. The 6 of us each worked about 60 hours on this project over the course of the Monday morning through Friday evening of the week of Thanksgiving. It was almost like being a part of the reality TV program "Extreme Home Makeover", but this was the real deal.

I will spare you the gory details, and just proceed to post (in separate postings) a few (around 95 - be forwarned!) of the several hundred photos I took on the trip. After all, "a picture is worth a thousand words"... right?! (Saves me some typing!)

Enjoy! (Scroll down to view the posts)

No comments: