|One of the many photos on the slideshow: Grandpa when he was younger.|
Taken from my journal:
- Thursday, October 14: Dad & Grandma still at the hospital. Joel and Caleb to work at Herbmart. Mom & the rest of us kids leave McKinney in mid-afternoon to go to hospital. On the way stopped at Smith's house, no one was home. From there went to the hospital. The Knowles were there. Visited Grandpa again. When we were leaving the hospital around 9:15pm, Mrs. Smith dropped by to leave a gift for us. (Thank you, Mr. & Mrs. Smith!) After visiting with her, Mom, Caleb & Jaden went back to McKinney. Then Joel took we girls and Rachel & Rowena, over to Grandma's house. We spent the night there at Grandma's. Grandma, Dad and Aunt Becky spent Thursday night at the hospital.
|Goofy relations: David & Julia, Jim & Naomi and cousin Kelly Kautt.|
- Friday, October, 15: Dad, Grandma and Aunt Becky came back to Grandma's and gave us the sad news that Grandpa had passed away that morning around 5:15. His heart just gradually slowed to a stop. We girls made lunch, with Aunt Becky's help, and ate a delicious meal. Joel spent Friday night at Grandma's. The rest of us went back to McKinney.
|Cousins Kathrine and Kelly with Grandma.|
- Saturday, October 16: We girls cleaned the church. Joel and Caleb went to work at Herbmart. Dad picked up us girls from the church, and we went directly to Grandma's house. All the Knowles were already there. Grandma, Aunt Becky and Dad went to the funeral home to make arrangements. Abby & Phoebe worked on scanning a ton of photos for a memorial slideshow. We left Grandma's house around 6:30pm and met Joel & Caleb at Jack-in-the-Box right by the High-5. Caleb came with us back to McKinney, and Joel went down to Grandma's to spend the night.
|Grandma with her two sons: Jim & David.|
- Sunday, October 17: All the Kautts went to morning church (except Joel). We had a good crowd, including some guests. After church & lunch all of us kids went down to Dallas to Grandma's. The Knowles were there again. Abby & Phoebe worked on more scanning of photos. We also did some videoing of the Grandkids for the special memorial videos. Joel, Jaden & Johanna (the J's) went back to McKinney. Caleb, Abby & Phoebe spent that night at Grandma's.
|(L to R): Great-Aunt C., Great-Great-Aunt Dorothy, Great-Grandma McKnight, Grandma Kautt & Great-Uncle Paul.|
- Monday, October 18: Caleb went to work at Herbmart. Abby & Phoebe stayed at Grandma's to finish the slideshow. Dad came down again to have a meeting with Grandma and Robin Smith. We were at Grandma's till around 10pm, then we found out that Uncle Jim & Aunt Naomi were stuck in Memphis and wouldn't fly in until Tuesday. So Dad, Abby & Phoebe came back to McKinney.
|(L to R): Caleb, Johanna, cousin Kathrine, Phoebe, Jaden, Abby, cousin Rachel and Joel|
- Tuesday, October 19: Dad went down to Dallas to pick up Jim and Naomi from the airport, as well as go to the funeral home to view Grandpa's body. Caleb & Joel went to work at Herbmart. Dad came back home around 2:30pm, then Mom, Abby & Phoebe went to run errands in the brown (1982) suburban. We got to two of our destinations, then the car died and wouldn't restart in the middle lane at the light at the intersection of HWY 75 and HWY 380. We sat in the middle of the highway a good 10 minutes before a guy pulled us out of the highway over to a nearby gas station. By that time it was getting close to 4pm. Dad walked over from the house to where we were. The Good Samaritan who helped us, Jeff, took us back to our house. But, now both cars at home were not running and we had to be down in Dallas at 5pm. So, while Abby & Phoebe bicycled over to Target, Mom got the neighbor's car. They were very kind in letting us borrow their car. So, by the time Abby & Phoebe were back, and had taken showers, it was after 5pm. We left McKinney around 5:15pm and got to Valley View Christian Church around 5:50pm. The family was already eating the dinner prepared by the VVCC folks. Abby & Phoebe didn't eat, but instead had to go set up the slideshow in the lobby. Among those who came to the memorial service were: Mr. & Mrs. Putman, the Forts, Mr. & Mrs. Cronin, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, the Ghirontes, Mr. & Mrs. Tomlinson and many others. There was an estimated 200 guests, at least. After the long service/processional we said goodbye to Grandpa, the casket was taken, and we picked up the people mover that was to be used on our trip to Arkansas. Rachel came home with the McKinney Kautts and Aunt C., Grandma, Jim & Naomi went to Grandma's house.
|The Texas family: (L to R) Julia, Abby, Joel, Phoebe, Jim, Caleb, Grandma, Naomi, Jaden, Johanna, David & Rachel.|
- Wednesday, October 20: We had the people mover here at our house. The Dallas family got up here around 10am, and we were all loaded and ready to head out by 11am. We had 2 or 3 stops on the way to Arkansas, but nothing exciting happened. We got to Grandma McKnight's house in Wiener around 6pm and picked her up. Then we drove on to Jonesboro and got to the Jonesboro Christian Church around 7pm. All of the McKnight clan was there, as well as Uncle Lou, Aunt Jeannie and cousins Kelly and Kathrine. We all had a fun time visiting while eating a delicious supper. We were so happy to be able to see our relatives, some of whom we hadn't seen in over 7 years. Then Great-Grandma, Grandma and Aunt C. took Uncle Paul's car back to Wiener to spend the night. Uncle Jim & Aunt Naomi, and Joel & Caleb spent that night (and the next) at Uncle Paul's. Mom, Dad, Jaden, we girls and Rachel all spent the night at cousin Terri & Peyton's.