Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thought for the Day ~

Psalm 111
1 Praise the LORD! I will praise the LORD
with my whole heart, In the assembly of the upright
and in the congregation.
2 The works of the LORD are great, Studied by all who have pleasure in them.
3 His work is honorable and glorious, And His righteousness
endures forever.
4 He has made His wonderful works
to be remembered; The LORD is gracious and full of compassion.
5 He has given food to those who fear Him;
He will ever be mindful of His covenant.
6 He has declared to His people (Israel) the power of His
works, In giving them the heritage of the nations.
7 The works of His hands are verity and justice.
All His precepts are sure.
8 They stand fast forever and ever,
and are done in truth and uprightness.
9 He has sent redemption to His people; He has
commanded His covenant forever:
Holy and awesome is His name.
10 The fear of the LORD is
the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all
those who do His commandments.
His praise endures forever.
Sometimes David uses my Bible, and marks in it. I ran across these words that he penned near Psalm 111: ‘How am I to respond to God’s great, honorable, glorious, wonderful, power[ful]… work[s]?’
- STUDY them. (verse 2)
- REMEMBER them. (verse 3)
- ACT upon them. (verse 10)"
Thanks, David, dear for that insight.
I also noticed something that I’ve seen throughout the Psalms. In verses 4 and 7 are what I call "the twins" – the balancing law and grace: "gracious and full of compassion" and " "verity and justice." I’ve been playing a little game as I read and re-read Psalms of finding all the times "the twins" are mentioned. This is a display of God’s character.
There are also many occurences of what I call "the trivium" in Proverbs – knowledge, wisdom and discernment (and their synonyms). Once again, an indicator of the character of Jehovah God. Very interesting!

No comments: