Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What we've been up to


Today was a good day...

Joel was off work, Dad was home until 4:30, Mom had a g-r-e-a-t day, and the sun was shining! Of course, these were all wonderful blessings from the hand of our Heavenly Father and I am grateful for them. Thus far, our week has been really relaxed and wonderful. :]

Last week was super hectic: We all had more than allot on our schedules. Joel had the unique experience of representing our Dad's brother Jim and wife Naomi who are missionaries in Tuebingen, Germany. He attended a "missions fair" at one of their main support churches here in the DFW area. Sunday morning he attended services with Grandpa & Grandma at their church, and then spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening visiting with them and also with our Uncle Dennis, Aunt Becky & children in Denton.

When he returned home from his excursions, Phoebe & I (who were home with Mom) chatted about many things. It was refreshing to begin a 3-day "relaxation" period. We also enjoyed fellowship with each other at the meal table on Sunday night.

Last week consisted of mowing lotsa lawns for our customers, cleaning our church building, housework, juggling all of Mom's needs, laundry, and all things many tasks that fill each day in a larger family.

I was totally excited to learn last Tuesday that my Amaryllis had bloomed!!! I have waited "patiently" since 2006 for it to bloom again. Back when I first got it (2006) I was rewarded with 3 lovely deep red blooms. Then last spring my anticipation mounted as March drew near.... Only, nothing happened. No blooms. Well, I learned that you have to trim back the leaves and foliage each year for it to bloom. Anyway, we have been enjoying the beauty of God's creative work in the beauty of a flower.

God has been really working on my life and helping me to understand what is really important. At this "time" in my life, where I am the in charge of running this household (besides Dad & Joel), planning meals, making sure the cleaning, laundry and other chores are attended to. As I have been reading through the book of Philippians this month, I realize that "for to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain". That has been such a challenge for me to live in such a manner.

Mom has been able to get back on her exercise plan. PTL!!! After her major setback in late March, this is a major step forward. She has even been able to begin walking outside. Please continue to pray for her returning strength, and that she would be encouraged in the Lord, to not become down-trodden or depressed. She has some "projects" that help her pass the time, and she has been enjoying this beautiful Texas weather, sitting outside for hours on end.

Just this evening, she sat out with 4 of her children gathered around her feet as she read to us. It was a sweet time of to-getherness. :]
That's a tad of what has been "going on" around here. I hope that I can keep you all updated a little more frequently...

Have a great rest of the week...

No comments: