Sunday, October 14, 2007

Volunteering at the AiG Booth


My Experience Helping at the AiG Booth

By Joel Kautt

On Monday, October 1st, I left for the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors (www.nanc.org) conference at around 6:40am, after spending a short night (midnight – 5:45am) at my Kautt grandparents’ in North Dallas. Thankfully, the traffic was moving along quite well for almost the entirety of the trip and I was able to make it to the host church, Birchman Baptist (western Fort Worth) in about 50 minutes.

Birchman Baptist Church (West Loop 820 / I-30, west Ft. Worth)

After a few minutes of looking around I found the AiG booth and introduced myself to Mr. Perry (I don’t recall his last name), and Mr. James Steffan, both AiG staff. I was then given a brief overview of the booth and what I needed to know about the materials being sold.

AiG Staff and Birchman Baptist members work the checkout table

A little later, I met a couple who had come to volunteer at the booth as well. The Burgesses, from about 3 hours west of Ft. Worth, just recently were certified as AiG Video Conference Coordinators. I enjoyed visiting with Mr. Burgess for several minutes throughout the course of the day.

The Burgesses browse through the AiG books
I also met a member of Birchman Baptist, who was helping run the booth as well. Mr. Billy Caldwell, a geologist, was very friendly and I enjoyed chatting with him during the "slow" times.

The table was loaded at the beginning of the day...

During the course of the day I helped at the AiG booth in a variety of ways, mostly helping visitors with questions regarding the products, and helping to restock the items which were selling quickly (we quickly sold out of a number of materials). People were grabbing up materials as if it were a feeding frenzy. People are hungry to hear the Truth!

NANC Conference attendees flock to the AiG tables

I was able to sit in on the majority of each of the 5 sessions that Mr. Ken Ham gave. Although I had already heard most of the content of his presentations (via DVD’s or audio tapes), I still enjoyed hearing him in person. And I was able to soak in some of the information a little deeper and fuller.

An audience of hundreds eagerly listens to Ken Ham

Ken Ham workshop - "Why is there Death and Suffering?"

I also was able to talk with Mr. Ham for a few minutes after the evening session. Among other things, I thanked him for the work he (and his ministry AiG) is doing to help "…uphold the authority of the Word of God from the very first verse".

A tired looking Ken Ham at the end of a very busy and full day of speaking

After the last session, l ended the day by helping to pack up all the leftover materials (a significantly smaller amount than at the start of the day!), and cleaning up the booth at around 9:30pm.

After leaving Birchman Baptist at around 9:50pm, I made it back to my grandparents’ house by around 11:00pm (I missed an exit, and had to back track a bit – slowing my return trip).

I was very, very pleased with the whole experience, and look forward to any future similar experiences, including two weekends from now when Dr. Terry Mortenson (AiG's Historian) speaks at the North Texas Creation Conference in Richardson, Tx. Find out more info here: www.answersingenesis.org/events/details.aspx?Event_ID=5746

Joel

No comments: